Friday, September 9, 2011

September 9, 2011

First week in and it went pretty well. The first week there isn't anything really exciting to report for most jobs but the basics. I met all of my bosses and co-workers/fellow interns including many of the docents and volunteers involved in the daily running of the museum. It is amazing to me that only 6...yes SIX people run the entire department in which I work in. They cover all field trips, special events, teacher certifications and educational training. Seminars and open houses for more than 20,000 students and teachers a year. It is incredible. I also will fall amongst the ranks of these extraordinary people. Today was probably the most interesting thus far as my first day I was given the basic quick tour, forced to provide what turned out to be an embarrassing photo for my ID (no one warned me to do my hair), and a security badge that actually makes you feel quite important! Today I got to experience our very first field trip of the school year. 15 students from Naperville High School came to tour the permanent exhibit and had the opportunity to sit down and engage in conversations with an actual Holocaust survivor. Ruth Gilbert. Amazing women with a point of view I had never even considered. Working in the museum is going to be beneficial on so many levels, not just historically speaking. I can't wait to see what the semester unfolds for my journey into the past!

2 comments:

  1. The museum world often depends on a small number of people to do a large amount of work. The upside is that it often winnows out all but the most talented and interesting people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, again. Perhaps you could write a post on Ruth Gilbert's story and your reaction to it. I'm sure your readers would love to hear more about this wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete